Partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildcatman17

Reaction score
I want to try to do a partial mash brew. My recipe call for 12 lbs of grain and 1.25 lbs of DME . 12 lbs sounds like alot to steep . I did an all grain last time but a guy I know said I should try partial....

If you're already doing 12 lbs of grain, I think the time/water savings are moot in the overall picture.

Agreed. Most 5 gallon mash tuns max out around 12 lbs, maybe that's the real reason for this recipe design. Otherwise if you can fit 14 lbs in your mash I'd just do that and skip the DME.

I want to try to do a partial mash brew. My recipe call for 12 lbs of grain and 1.25 lbs of DME . 12 lbs sounds like alot to steep . I did an all grain last time but a guy I know said I should try partial....

In my partial mash batches I mash 6 lbs of grain and then make up the difference with DME added at flameout after boil. Use an online recipe calculator like Brewtoad to determine how much DME you need to add to get the OG you want. It's really very easy.

Back