Partial Mash vs. Extract Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDance

Reaction score
Hello HBT!
I have a question about partial mash vs extract brewing.
What is the difference in quality/flavour of the finished product?
Is there a noticeable difference? Is it worth the little extra effort?
I had the notion that with extract brewing one could change/modify flavours with different yeasts and dry hopping, etc.
But is the product that is produced from partial mash significantly better?

I would guess that most mini-mash brewers around here would say that their beers are better having used steeping grains and/or performed mini-mashes to make them.

What kind of beer do you like to drink? What kind of beer have you been making? Do you ask about mini-mash with any particular style in mind?

There really is no more effort. It just takes longer. Usually you steep for 20-30 minutes and usually you mash for an hour.

The major difference is a little more control over the ingredients. - less extract. The darkening due to extracts can be lessened.

Significantly better? Some seem to get extract twang. I have never noticed that, my extracts have been very good.

I did a couple of partial mash between extract and all grain for the experience. I would now do extract for time saving, or all grain for money savings. - No expensive extract.

Knowing what I do now, I would recommend skipping straight to all grain, unless you don't have the equipment.

There really is no more effort. It just takes longer. Usually you steep for 20-30 minutes and usually you mash for an hour.

The major difference is a little more control over the ingredients. - less extract. The darkening due to extracts can be lessened.

Significantly better? Some seem to get extract twang. I have never noticed that, my extracts have been very good.

I did a couple of partial mash between extract and all grain for the experience. I would now do extract for time saving, or all grain for money savings. - No expensive extract.

Knowing what I do now, I would recommend skipping straight to all grain, unless you don't have the equipment.

I don't mind skipping to all grain BIAB. Don't need much equipment for that.

Back