Partial Mash OG off the charts!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valkyrie-M1

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm hoping somone can help me figure out what is going on here...

I've done a couple of partial mash brews and have used "tasty brews" recipe calculator to figure out what my OG, etc. should be. The first batch turned out almost exactly where the calculation said it should. The issue is when I ended up with the finished wort this last time, my OG was way higher (like 6-8 points higher!) than what the calculator says it should be. I've checked and double checked my inputs in the calculator and everything is right. I've even assumed my efficiency is 99% (I'm sure it's not) and calculated it that way... even so my OG is way higher than the calculation says it should be. My question is this... is the "Tasy Brew" calculator way off? Or is there something else going on here? I'm happy about it (high ABV!!), it would just be nice to be able to predict it a little better. :mug:

It's hard to say without knowing what the ingredients are and what the calculator is saying!

Can you post the recipe, the actual OG, and the volume you ended with, and we can take a look?

Back