partial bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyotlgw

Reaction score
I am bottling a 5 gallon batch this week and hope to bottle another in about two weeks. I only have enough bottles and space for about 7.5 gallons, though.

Since I plan on getting rid of a significant volume in three weeks over the Memorial Day weekend, would there be anything wrong with bottling the % gallons of Kolsch this week, bottling 2.5 gallons of the next batch in two weeks (Cali Steam, brown, or bitter) and then leaving the rest at 55 degrees or so in the carboy until I have sufficient capacity to bottle the rest in a third bottling?

The only thing you risk is an infection. Double up your focus and attention while sanitizing and let everything soak a while longer and you should be fine.

Don't forget to cut back on your priming sugar though. ;)

If it were me I would just leave the whole batch in secondary until I had enough bottles, but that's just me.

If you want to only bottle half, go for it, just follow Toot's advice above.

I would go out and buy a case of Sam Adams or a beer that you enjoy with "pop top" bottles. Get your buzz on and get the bottles you need.

I have over six cases of emptys buy doing it that way..... OR go to the LHBS and spend 10 bones for an extra case of bottles....

Just go to a store that sells GOOD beer, and you can get the returned bottles for the 10 cent deposit, at least that is what it is here....

Back