parti gyle nut brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheClaw

Reaction score
Hey I'm looking to do a parti gyle this weekend. I'm looking for 5 gal of a double nut brown and then 10 gal of a good winter warmer. I was thinking of adding some spice, coca nibs, and/or vanilla beans to one of the beers of the 5 ga because I want an easy way to make 3 different beers to fill up my keezer. I can't seem to find a good recipe for this. Anyone have any good ideas on where to look? A parti gyle recipe thread under the recipe section would be nice to add. Thanks

I second that a parti gyle section would be of some use! Sorry I have no help to offer though.

Look here and here.

I think you have your beers backward, at least from the historical standpoint of the partigyle (You would typically have a "big beer" from your first runnings and a "small beer" from the second), but you can always add ME or cap your mash to get a gravity boost in your "small beer". The two links above should provide you with the info you need. That's how I first started developing partigyle recipes. My first iteration was a little off, but the second time around, I hit all the numbers I was expecting. The winter warmer is still aging, but the brown ale turned out pretty good.

A recipe section would be nice, as I have often found myself trying to figure out the best way to pair the beers I am trying to make. I usually end up picking one beer I want to do, then developing the recipe for it and the stronger or weaker beer that loosely corresponds (eg Barleywine/PA or Winter Warmer/Brown Ale). A recipe section could provide some input, based on practical experience, on how to be a little more flexible than that, from a style standpoint.

I agree with difriesen, good info. I brew parti gyle just because I can save about two hours in a brew day for two 5.5 gallon batches. I do a heavy then lighter second running Heavy porter and then a brown ale or two similar gravity , Amber then broan ale, by capping the second running. I pay attention to the gravity of my first running and then go from there. Good luck.

I love the whole concept of this brew style. I am going to brew a pretty stiff Barleywine this weekend and the grain bill is about 30lbs for a 5.5g batch. There has to be a nice Mild Ale left in that much grain. I plan to brew to the 5.5g going into the fermentor and remashing the grains for a small beer. My goal of course is the Barleywine but why not shoot for a bonus batch with the grains. I do agree a SECTION needs to be dedicated to PARTI-GYLE. *hint hint mods* Thanx for sharing guys. This is why I love this website!!!!

@djfriesen what record did you use?

I don't understand the question. Please clarify. If you are looking for the recipe, I could provide my file(s), or give you some guidance as far as trying to get them dialed in on your system.

Sorry I didn't reread and my phone thought I wanted record when I really meant recipe lol ��

Last edited:
Back