Parsnip Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew chick

Reaction score
Due to request here it is:pARSNIP WINE(dry sherry -style)
this recipe makes 1 imp gallon.
3lb/1.36kg parsnips
half pint/280ml white grape concentrate
2.5lb/1.1kg white sugar
2tsp/10g citric acid
1tsp/5g pectic enzyme
1tsp/5g yeast nutrient
half tsp/3g grape tannin
1x3mg vitamin B tablet
1 sachet all purpose yeast
Make up a yeast starter,simmer the washed and sliced parsnips for ten mins in sufficient unsalted water to cover them;(1)strain the liquor into a white plastic bucket,(2)cover,and leave to cool to room temp.(3)stir into the cooled liquor a crushed campden tablet and pectic enzyme,cover again and leave for 24 hrs.(4)dissolve the sugar in 1 pint/half ltr of boiling water and add it to the parsnip liquor.(5)put in the grape concentrate and other additives,add 2 pints/1 litre of cold water.when cooled to 21c(70f),add the yeast starter.(6)fit a bung and airlock and maintain temp.after ten days top up to 5 imp gallon with water at 21c,re-fit airlock.when the fermentation appears to have stopped -starting to clear from the surface downwards-take a hydrometer reading.when this is below 1000,and remains static at 3 day intervals,syphon the wine from the deposit into a clean and sterile demijhon.top up with water at 21c.refit airlock and maintain temp until the wine clears.rack into a sterile demijhon again and add a crushed campden tablet.Keep for at least twelve months before bottling and drinking.
I can honestly say this wine is worth trying if you can wait 12 months!sorry if im teaching some of you how to suck egg's with the instuctions but i wont beginners to try it too!best off luck and let me know how you get on with it,feel free to pm or e-mail me. claire.:D

Looks good!
I'm one of the few people here who actually make wine. I'm trying to convert a few into giving it a go! All those ingredients are available on line - (substitute carrots for parsnips!)

Just one question to confirm - 'All purpose yeast' - a dry wine yeast?

yep that will be ok, if i remember rightly i think i used cwe69 or something like that.
If you want a sherry style you could replace the airlock with cotton wool and let it oxidize a bit.

One gallon of Parsnip already in your sig D@VID - you've played before....;) But what's 'Cumberland Brandy?':)

Caplan,
Still waiting for results on this one, but have posted the recipe :)

Back