Paranoia about leaving beer in Primary for too long

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhsisk

Reaction score
It seems many brewers on this forum recommend leaving one's beer in the primary fermenter for 3-4 weeks, or even months in some cases. My main concern with this is that it seems contrary to John Palmer's advice on the subject, who seems to think that longer than 3 weeks opens up risk for off-flavors and autolysis.

My fermenter is a plastic bucket in which I've kept my previous brews for 2 weeks before bottling. However, this time I'll be out of country for about 3+ weeks and don't have quite enough time before the trip to wait the usual 2 weeks before bottling. I'm considering either bottling a few days early and letting them sit while I'm away, or else just brewing a couple days before I leave and letting the beer sit in primary for 4-ish weeks.

Is it OK to leave it for that long unattended? Any risk of it getting too warm (it'll be mid-July, doesn't exactly get outrageously hot here in Seattle but then again we don't have air conditioning)? The yeast I have is a packet of dry yeast that's been in my fridge for a couple months... is that an issue or am I better off with fresh yeast?

Your beer can stay in primary for months (it just doesn't need to).

You can use dry yeast that has been stored cold for years.

You'll be fine. Just practice good sanitation as usual.

Your beer can stay in primary for months (it just doesn't need to).

You can use dry yeast that has been stored cold for years.

You'll be fine. Just practice good sanitation as usual.

What he said. As far as temp, the most time for temp control is the first few days. After fermentation is done higher temps are actually beneficial, as they help the yeast clean up. Let it sit, bottle when you get back, you'll be fine.

John has changed his opinion..."Therefore I, and Jamil and White Labs and Wyeast Labs, do not recommend racking to a secondary fermenter for ANY ale, except when conducting an actual second fermentation, such as adding fruit or souring. Racking to prevent autolysis is not necessary, and therefore the risk of oxidation is completely avoidable." Full post....https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=15108.msg191642#msg191642

I actually just bottled a beer that I had left in the primary for 15 months... It got a pelicile on it, but it tastes fine and is unbelievably clear and well attenuated.

dont worry about it

Thanks for all the input! My porter is now a few days into fermentation and looks to be going along great. I'll be leaving tomorrow and bottling when I get back.

Actually these guys are wrong. Any beer left on the yeast cake for longer than 3 weeks will definitely be spoiled. What's more is you can't just dump it down the drain due to local and federal laws. Your best bet is to ship it to my facility where we can properly dispose of it in a nonhazardous manner!

:tank:

Lol Matt. I've left beer to finish fermenting & settle out clear or slightly misty for as much as 5 weeks in primary with no harm done. Autolysis turned out to be yet another myth with today's higher quality yeasts & such. :mug:

If you are concerned with temps, just put the fermenter into a big vessel of water. It should keep it cooler. I have not used a secondary in a couple of years and I mostly go grain to glass with ales in 2 weeks, sometimes less.

If you are concerned with temps, just put the fermenter into a big vessel of water. It should keep it cooler. I have not used a secondary in a couple of years and I mostly go grain to glass with ales in 2 weeks, sometimes less.

How long from brew day to glass? And do you bottle or keg? Thanks

Update-- I bottled the porter after about 4 weeks in primary. I just tried the first bottle today and it was delicious! Even better than the ones I bottled after only two weeks.

I'm actually going to be leaving soon for 3 weeks as well and was wondering the same thing. Good to know I can just leave them ferment while I'm away if I don't get around to bottling

How long from brew day to glass? And do you bottle or keg? Thanks

I keg. I have brewed, fermented, kegged, and carbonated in is as little as 8 days with an IPA. I generally go 2 weeks, but like these other guys I get busy and travel and have gone more than a month as well with no ill effects on my beer. I have also kept strong ales, porters, and stouts in kegs for 2 years or more and they just got better...

Back