Palmer Nomograph - Colour chart?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattsearle

Reaction score
I'm just starting out reading up on water chemistry and water additions etc, and have been looking at John Palmer's nomograph to calculate RA etc.

I may just be being an idiot but would appreciate some quick clarification on something?

The colour guide at the top only starts above 5.6 ph, but I thought I should be targetting lower than this with my mash ph? Does the chart correspond to your target ph below it?

I dont have a copy of it as my computer isn't letting me upload pictures, but I know a lot of people will be familiar with the charts I'm talking about.

Thanks

John has come a long way since he was pushing those nomographs. They will lead you to places you do not want to be. Try to find something more up to date.

John has come a long way since he was pushing those nomographs. They will lead you to places you do not want to be. Try to find something more up to date.

Ha fair enough! Thanks.

I've got the water book so maybe I'll just read that!

Back