Palisade hops: Cidery beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLBinID

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I brewed an IPA and for fun I tried palisade hops. I wanted something a bit more floral so I gave it a try. Initially I liked the flavor, but now that's it's done fermenting it smells and tastes a bit like cider. I'm sure the flavor will improve if I let it sit for a while longer and it will definitely taste better once I get it on CO2, I'm just trying to figure out if the palisade hops are where this flavor came from. It doesn't have the green apple sort of flavor that indicates that I did something I shouldn't have. It's not sour at all. I tasted the beer about a week ago an it didn't have this flavor. Then I added some palisade for dry hopping. All signs point to the hops yet nothing I've read said that palisade hops give an apple flavor.

I was thinking about dry hopping with another hop to add some bitterness. Any suggestions?

Hmm I used all Palisades in a Pale Ale (a Smash, with Weyerman Pale) and it turned out very good, no cider flavor. It did have a faint "apricot" hop aroma in the very beginning, which went away after a week or two unfortunately. It was great though.

I have to agree about the apricot character Palisade can tend to have. I could see how that might get perceived as a slight cider like flavor. Personally that apricot like flavor is something I tend to be sensitive to which is one reason I never really liked Palisade hops as I don't much like apricot or even fake apricot flavors. But that's the beauty of hop variety, something for everyone out there!

Ahhhhh, it IS apricot! I'm pretty sensitive to that flavor as well so I find it overpowering, but I'm sure it's not for others. This will be a good beer to give away to friends as it's not a bad beer.

On to exploring the next hop. Something more bitter next time. :)

That apricot flavor sounds really good. It is similar to the aroma you get from say Magic Hat #9 (although I believe they brew with apricots at some point of their process)?

"I was thinking about dry hopping with another hop to add some bittering. Any suggestions?"

Dry hopping adds flavor and mostly aroma. Bittering only comes from the boiled hops and especially those boiled for an hour.

Back