Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slats

Reaction score
Brewed a 12 gallon batch of pale ale last weekend. Everything went very smoothly until we added the last of the hops and then we started to question our hop selection. We started out with 2.5 oz of Willamette@ 60 minutes - so far so good. At 15 minutes we added 2.0 oz of Mt. Hood, .75 oz Northern Brewer, and .5 oz of Challenger. At 5 minutes 1.75 oz of Liberty. It smelled grassy. Is this batch doomed to taste grassy?

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

In my experience almost all of the aroma will be gone after fermentation. If I were you I might just dry hop with a pleasant aroma hop.

Certain varieties of hops are avoided by people for late additions - Challenger and Northern Brewer have come up before.

It'll probably be fine with some time.

Some hops are harsh in late additions.. Using Target at flame out proved that lesson to me (not a bad beer but a notable tea-ish flavor)..
I wouldn't worry too much - your beer will have completely transformed after the fermentation.. Consider doing some dry hopping with a "safe choice" variety; cascade, EKG or etc..

We did not dry hop. Drank it today while brewing. I liked it.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back