Pale ale with wlp002?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussie brewer

Reaction score
Hi,my local homebrew store was out of 001 so i picked up some 002.
Im thinking of brewing the russian river row 2 hill 56 clone(was awesome with 001) but with the 002 to add some yeast character. Do you guys think it would turn out ok? ive never used 002 so not sure how it would go with this beer.
Cheers brewers!

It is definitely a different yeast, but I'm not convinced you'd notice much of a difference. Not like you would if you used a Belgian yeast or a wheat beer yeast. Many people prefer British yeasts like 002 for pale ales these days.

I use the WLP200 a lot which is 001 and 002 blended, and I like it for IPAs.

002 drops clear really fast and makes a maltier beer if I remember.

It is definitely a different yeast, but I'm not convinced you'd notice much of a difference. Not like you would if you used a Belgian yeast or a wheat beer yeast. Many people prefer British yeasts like 002 for pale ales these days.
Thats good to know!
I was thinking it would be a radical difference,ill give it a go now!

I make more APA than IPA with WLP200, and it is a great yeast for that.

It drops clean and the yeast is fairly neutral.
20190909_064036.jpeg

I love 002, I find the flavor to be more full and well-rounded than 001. Mash a bit lower if you want the same attenuation you'd get from 001. Also, try to keep fermentation in the upper 60s, or it could crash out early and take quite a while to clean up diacetyl and other off-flavors. 002 is notorious for throwing a lot of diacetyl during fermentation, but will clean it up if given the chance.

This but don't let it get to cold before it is done. It drops like a rock and you will never get it roused. Turns into a gelatinous blob unlike any yeast I've ever used.
But makes a damn good beer.
If you ever use it for a big beer, pitch big. Once it falls out, it's all fat lady.
I use the WLP200 a lot which is 001 and 002 blended, and I like it for IPAs.

002 drops clear really fast and makes a maltier beer if I remember.

I love 002, I find the flavor to be more full and well-rounded than 001. Mash a bit lower if you want the same attenuation you'd get from 001. Also, try to keep fermentation in the upper 60s, or it could crash out early and take quite a while to clean up diacetyl and other off-flavors. 002 is notorious for throwing a lot of diacetyl during fermentation, but will clean it up if given the chance.
Thanks grambo, i have temp control,what fermentation schedule would you recommend?

This but don't let it get to cold before it is done. It drops like a rock and you will never get it roused. Turns into a gelatinous blob unlike any yeast I've ever used.
But makes a damn good beer.
If you ever use it for a big beer, pitch big. Once it falls out, it's all fat lady.
Yeah, even WLP200 comes in the tube looking like silly puddy.

Thanks grambo, i have temp control,what fermentation schedule would you recommend?

Pitch a healthy starter at the low end of fermentation. On day 2 start raising 1 deg per day until you hit the max temp. When Diacetyl negative finish as per your protocol. This assumed that 24 h after pitching you have a bug healthy krausen/fermentation.

Latest posts

Back