Pale ale recipe to convert

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerslave73

Reaction score
Can anyone please SCALE THIS DOWN TO A TEN GALLON ALL GRAIN RECIPE WITH A 10 GALLON IGLOO COOLER as a mash tun? Thanks in advance!!!!

Mash water: 42 bbls, Sparge water: 23 bbls

Malt:
2600 lbs. 2-row pale
350 lbs. caramel @ 60°L
10 lbs. Dingemans Special B

Hops:
2631g Columbus @ boil
3543g Cascade @ 1:25
6715g Chinook @ 1:30 (flame out)
3500g Amarillo dry hop
3500g Simcoe dry hop
3500g Chinook dry hop

Target Plato: 16°

I'm assuming you got this from the brewery? See if you can find out their boiloff rates and equipment losses. That will give you a batch size, and the beer will be easier to convert. Also, you'd need to know the total IBU's.

Converting a recipe at this scale isn't as easy as you'd think. You need to take into concideration the equipment used, the isomerization of hops, the extract potential of the malt, and a ton of other variables.

24lb 2-row
3lb C60
2oz Special B
.75oz CTZ @90
1oz Cascade @5
1oz ea Chinook, Simcoe, Amarillo dry

Scaled using 85% efficiency for commercial scale, 75% for homebrew. Hops should probably be increased from these amounts for the smaller system -- I show 28 IBU by Rager using default alphas in BeerAlchemy.

24lb 2-row
3lb C60
2oz Special B
.75oz CTZ @90
1oz Cascade @5
1oz ea Chinook, Simcoe, Amarillo dry

Scaled using 85% efficiency for commercial scale, 75% for homebrew. Hops should probably be increased from these amounts for the smaller system -- I show 28 IBU by Rager using default alphas in BeerAlchemy.

How can you assume an 85% efficiency? Most breweries would be very dissappointed with an 85% efficiency.

Back