Pale ale recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppheadIPA

Reaction score
I'm formulating a pale ale recipe using hops I already have. What, if any, suggestions do you have for this one? This is a 5.5 gallon batch.
9.5# 2-row
1# Vienna
.5# crystal 20L
1oz Galaxy @ 20
.5oz Galaxy @ 5
.5oz Amarillo @ 5
1oz Galaxy @ 0
1oz Amarillo @ 0
.5oz Galaxy & .5oz Amarillo dry hop for 3 days
Nottingham ale yeast @ 68 degrees

Other hops on hand: mosaic, centennial, El dorado, ekuanot, cashmere, CTZ, and Columbus

Last edited:
I like your grain bill. Your hop schedule is fine, but I'd replace the 20 min Galaxy addition with an ounce of CTZ/Columbus. May need to put it in earlier to get the same ibu's. This would give some dank to balance the fruit. I'd also up the .5 oz of Amarillo to 1 or 2oz and add an ounce of the CTZ/Columbus to the dry hop. But what you have written will make a nice beer...

I like your grain bill. Your hop schedule is fine, but I'd replace the 20 min Galaxy addition with an ounce of CTZ/Columbus. May need to put it in earlier to get the same ibu's. This would give some dank to balance the fruit. I'd also up the .5 oz of Amarillo to 1 or 2oz and add an ounce of the CTZ/Columbus to the dry hop. But what you have written will make a nice beer...
Good point on the Columbus. I'm going to sub the 20 minute Galaxy addition out for Columbus and add 1 oz of Columbus to dry hop. I'm going to leave everything else as is.

My go-to is 7# Maris Otter, 1/4# each of Victory, C40, Amber, and Carapils. I go for 40-50 IBU's, good for a single-hop beer, usually no more than two hops (~3-5oz total, including dry hop). Works well with Centennial, Cascade, Chinook, Citra, Mosaic, Azacca, Amarillo, just about anything that can give you citrusy notes. S-05 or WL007. Usually around 5%.

This beer is only three weeks old, a little over a week in the keg. WOW! It's absolutely fantastic! I've brewed a LOT of beer and have been doing so since 2008, and this one is up there with the best! The picture below ended up being the hop schedule and I used US-05 for yeast.

Screenshot_20211012-210539_Brewfather.jpg

Back