Pale Ale recipe feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewmiller100us

Reaction score
I put this together based on a few different recipes ive seen. Was wondering if anyone might give me some feedback.

9lbs 2 row
1lbs vienna
1lbs honey malt
.5 lbs crystal 40
.5 lbs crystal 80
.5 lbs flaked barley

1oz Montueka @60min
.5oz Galaxy @15
.5oz Riwaka @15
.5oz Galaxy @5
.5oz Riwaka @1
.5oz Galaxy @flameout

1oz Riwaka
1oz Galaxy
dry hop 7 days

Im trying to add a lot late addition to achieve an aggressive passionfruit/citrus aroma and flavor, with a sweet honey-like maltiness.

mash at 152 for 60 minutes, US05 for yeast.

Any feedback I would appreciate.

Thanks

Maybe too much sweet sutff there between the Crystal and Honey malt. Maybe drop the 80 at least or mash a bit lower, or it'll be quite malty (unless that's what you're going for--its your beer!).

I love honey malt but I agree that that might turn out really sweet. I'd back down the honey malt to a half pound.
I've never heard of Riwaka before. Whats its profile like?

Concur with the honey. Half that will do the job. A Brit yeast might give you some fruity esters to compliment the citrus/fruity nose you're looking for.

I'd go more simple still:

11# 2-row
.5# C40 or .5# Vienna
.25# Honey malt

should get you around 6% ABV, 7-8 SRM (C40 version), and maybe 55 IBUs. Then again, I prefer a more West Coast style, stripped down to let the ingredients shine!

Thanks for your guys input ill adjust it a little, I enjoy the honey malt and a little maltier profile, but I don't want it to over power. I still want to get a somewhat crisp finish.
CBM Brewer-Riwaka is a NZ hop that has a passionfruit profile, real good from what i've heard. I haven't used it before but it sounds great. I want to pound the boil with the Riwaka and Galaxy in the last 20 minutes or so to get huge aroma. I was thinking of skipping my bittering addition all together as i've heard you still get some bittering elements in late additions-well see...thanks

andrew

Latest posts

Back