Pale Ale ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustyritz89

Reaction score
So I tried my hands at my own pale ale recipe. So far it has been about a week, im going to let it go in the primary for an additional week beofre dry hopping for another week etc.

ok..

the current ABV is 4.63% my OG was 1.046 and the current SG is 1.012. Will the ABV continue to grow as it sits? should I introduce more sugar/yeast?

No, you should not introduce more fermentables. Why are you so concerned about the ABV?

Stick to your plan and it will do what it does.

More yeast probably won't do much at this point, especially without using a different strain (with unwanted consequences).

Adding sugar would work, but you don't want to go overboard.

Agree with the above poster, just leave it the way it is and go with it.

Don't introduce more fermentables now. Let the beer finish up and enjoy it. Make notes for what you would like to improve on it for the next time (increasing ABV, aroma, etc)

:mug:I think 4.6% is a great percentage for a Pale Ale. No alcohol doesn't grow, but if you are asking if the FG will drop by sitting there, it depends if there is more fermentable sugars left. If you take another reading and it is the same...it is done. Continue with your dry hop, it will be delicious!

You might want to post the complete recipe. Depending on the type of yeast and amount of crystal malts, you may be doing just fine as it is. What were your target OG, FG, and ABV? The numbers you have are totally within the style guidelines for pale ale.

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style10.php

Back