Pairings for Buckwheat Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eogaard

Reaction score
Just bought 3 lbs of Buckwheat honey for a 1 gallon batch of mead. I was wondering if anyone knew firsthand of any spices or fruit that go well with Buckwheat in particular? I haven't had buckwheat mead, but from the tasting the honey as well as descriptions online it seems to finish with a stronger, somewhat bitter flavor, so I figured I'd check out here if anything goes well in it since I'd prefer not to blend with another honey. What do you think?

The very first time I made a mead I used buckwheat honey. Others may disagree but I think that buckwheat is one honey that does not make a very pleasant mead. Of course, this was my very first mead... and my technique may not have been so wonderful... I am sure it wasn't but it I suspect the flavors had more to do with the honey than it had to do with poor technique...

Joes quick grape mead requires a lb of buckwheat and 2lb of another honey and it turns out really well.

I also think a bochet style mead works well with buckwheat.

Ok, I might just have to split it up between two batches then and mix with another honey. I was hoping to just use all of it and pair it with something that accents buckwheat's strengths.

I've used buckwheat honey in a mead at 3:1 ratio wildflower to buckwheat; I'ts still aging, but I think it'll turn out pretty good. I think either peaches, apples or cherries would work well with the buckwheat honey flavour. Any fruit that will work with molasses will work with buckwheat honey.
Regards, GF.

I use buckwheat honey all the time when making bread but the 4:1 buckwheat/wildflower mead I have aging is still pretty vegetal and gnarly even after 8 months. Of course, it's wildflower and was kind of dark on its own iirc.

Latest posts

Back