Paint ball CO2 tank to regulator - what am I doing wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownni5

Reaction score
Let's start off with: I have no idea what I'm doing.

I bought a paint ball CO2 tank and keg gas regulator with the idea that I would use that setup for purging when bottling/sampling sours/dry hopping/etc. Got everything I need (I think), including the adapter for the paint ball tank. Last night, in a bit of a hurry, I tried to put the whole works together, but something was out of sorts since CO2 started spraying everywhere. Compressed gas is cold - got it.

I'm guessing I did something out of order, missed a gasket, or didn't get something tight enough. Beyond that, I'm open to be told what to do. Surprisingly, no YouTube videos that I could find on the topic.

Thanks for any/all help.

Edit: the gas was escaping as I tried to thread the regulator into the tank - it was not escaping from the gas-out barb.

Last edited:
There is a flat gasket that goes on the regular to the tank adapter and an o ring on the tank. I have had the o ring on the tank get a nick or small split and not seal.

It may be a tightening issue. Make sure to superman the adapter to the regulator BEFORE attaching to the Co2 tank, and then it should be quite hand tight. I haven't had a leak out of mine (now), and I leave my Co2 tank connected to the regulator.

Back