Pacman yeast for Dead Guy Rogue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasty_rabbit

Reaction score
I didn’t want to hi-jack another thread I was reading about Rogue to ask about the yeast. We are planning to brew this batch and read folks are harvesting the yeast because it is rarely available. So here is the question, should we brew the beer and then harvest the yeast from the primary or step up the starter, harvest half and pitch the rest?

I'm fermenting the CYBI recipe and just used Wyeast 1056 because of the availabilty of pacman and some feedback from others who have made it with that yeast. I knew with 1056 I could make a appropiate sized starter and ferment near 60. Fermentation was slow & steady for about 7 days, currently in the process of a few degree ramp-up to ensure good attenuation.

Have you checked with MoreBeer? Everytime I have needed it, they have had it.

Of course I'm covered for a while now since I've washed it and stored it away for a rainy day :D

I figured because I've never really heard from Wyeast why this yeast isn't sold all over, and maybe others interested. I got this reply back today actually:

"Pacman is offered to retail shops exclusively through BREWCRAFT USA in Portland, OR

Sincerely

Customer Service and Sales"

.... Lame.. Super lame. I still can't tell you why I have the desire to try a yeast that's supposedly as clean as Cal Ale when I can just use Cal Ale. Either way, for my next Shakespeare Stout batch, I'm ordering Pacman from morebeer. Good luck with your batch.

I figured because I've never really heard from Wyeast why this yeast isn't sold all over, and maybe others interested. I got this reply back today actually:

"Pacman is offered to retail shops exclusively through BREWCRAFT USA in Portland, OR

Sincerely

Customer Service and Sales"

.... Lame.. Super lame. I still can't tell you why I have the desire to try a yeast that's supposedly as clean as Cal Ale when I can just use Cal Ale. Either way, for my next Shakespeare Stout batch, I'm ordering Pacman from morebeer. Good luck with your batch.

It's a seasonal strain, it'll be out in the early spring, I believe. You can harvest it year round from some of Rogue's beers. For around the same price as a smack pack, you'll get 6 Rogue brews, the yeast you need, and 6 longneck bottles. :D
There's a few threads around here about harvesting yeast from commercial beers, at least one mentions doing it from Rogue beers specifically. Shakespeare Stout is one of the ones that are good to harvest from.

Back