Pacific Northwest Tripel recipe help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cascadegan

Reaction score
Want something strong, belgien-esque, and tasty fairly quick (compared to a Belgian golden strong ale or tripel)
I don'tn generally worry about being true to style because this beer is for me and my friends/family not judges

what i have so far:

1/4lb biscuit malt (steeped)
6lbs light lme (added 15 minutes before flameout)
3lbs wheat dme
2lbs sugar**
1oz Cent. (50)
1oz cascade (5)
2oz dry sweet orange peel (5)
tsp black pepper (5)
1oz cascade (dry hop)
zest of 1 lemon (dry hop)
wyeast 1388 belg strong ale yeast

**added after 2-3 days of primary fermentation

Qbrew gives me:
OG - 1.086
IBU - 36
FG - 1.022 (which seems wrong, it adds .001 FG for 1lb of sugar which i thought would lower FG not increase it)

I am shooting for something with substantial citrus character accented with bitterness and alcohol with the pepper and malt being faint

Should i get something like that, or do i have too much/little of anything?
Thoughts/critique/comments would be lovely :rockin:

The FG calculators are generally just taking into account the attenuation of the yeast and the original gravity, not the specifics of the profile of the wort based on the grain/sugar/mash.

If you want it quick I'd probably back down the gravity a bit, with good attenuation you could end up pretty close to 10% ABV. For a Belgian beer that strong make sure you pitch a lot of yeast and watch the fermentation temps down in the 60s for the first few days.

I'd also back down on the orange peel, 2 oz dried is a lot (you can always add more if you need it). I like the hop bill, not too much bitterness or hop aroma, but enough to give it a layer of complexity.

Hope that helps, good luck brewing.

ah i see, thanks didnt know that :)

hmmm, i may just err on more fermentables and test my patience and will try out the wet t shirt method

i was thinking the same thing about the peel last night, i will try a little over an ounce

thanks!

Back