OZtops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry08

Reaction score
Has anyone come across these. Having just purchased a TAD system I googled around and came opon these tops(Caps)

So far I have started a Apple(Cider) and Red Grape(Lumbrusco) They have been fermenting for about 4 days.

The caps have a pressure release membrane. The idea is to ferment to the desired sweetness and ABV then refrigerate to stop the yeast and let clear.

I had to taste the Cider after 2 days and I was pleasently surprised. I like a dry taste and it should take about 8 days for the yeast to consume the sugers in the Apple juice.

I used the no preservative 2 litre varieties. I have a recipee for "Ye Old Ginger Beer" which I will try also as the caps are pressure release I shall use the high pressure ones(40psi) with a 2 litre Coke Pet bottle to test the recipee.

One of my favourite tipples is a "Whiskey Mack" with Stones green ginger wine.

I plan to add the right amount of sugar with a high ABV tolerent yeast and brew untill the yeast gets drunk and quits. I think this may take a while but in this case an airlock will surfice. I am looking forward to this journey

The TAD system. Best thing since sliced bread. I now have beer conditioning in the 6 litre bottles and all I have to do is place them on ice for a day and apply the dispenser. Place a flexible ice pack around the bottle and take it with me anywhere. $2aud / bottle I can live with a daily paper almost costs that much. I have made room nin my shed and need to install shelf's to accomodate.

So any recipee's for the OZtops would be most welcomed.
Cheers
Terry

What it consists of is heavy duty PET bottles that you naturally prime your beer in as you would bottles. There is a dispensing unit which has provision to hold two of the 8grm soda chargers.

I am only new to this but had instant success. After the beer was carbed naturally I placed in the fridge to cool. After a couple of days I took it out and removed the pressure cap and screwed on the dispenser. Laying the assembly down I then inserted one soda bulb. I did this about mid day in readiness for guests that everning. The result a Coopers "Real Ale" was great much to the enjoyment of my beer drinking Aussie mates.

It is possible to force carb the method of the serious keggers biut that uses two extra bulbs and I am a tight ass.

I do not see a disadvantage over true keg systems as I shall have up to 4 beer types available. Plus a biggie is that you can take a couple of 6 litres in a normal esky cold of course and with the dispenser and bulbs you can dispense immediatly the bottle is charged. Instant party with beer on tap.

The bottles are capable of withstanding 60psi apparently so the beer can be hard carbed ready for dispensing. I like Cider and the OZtops I mentioned happily have one size that fits the 6 litre bottle. Only one of the low pressure tops but that allows 15psi. Technique : buy 6 litres of Apple juice non preservative. Place in 6 litre bottle add cup dextrose & champagne yeast put the pressure cap on, wait a week place in fridge 2 days. connect to TAD system and serve. comes out about 5-6%abv . The first trial I made is delicious. Longer in the fridge or if the yeast reaches it's alcohol tolerance the Cider gets a chance to fall bright. I am experimenting with the high pressure top(40psi) on a Coke bottle. It is starting to vent and fermentation is slowing down so I am looking forward to trying it.

Getting back on track. I have paid as much for my system as I would for a small cornie system but then I would need a fridge and hire a gas cylinder. I have I think the best of both worlds. The beer is fully gassed holds a beautiful head and is a no brainer to use.

The only downside is that each 6 litres costs $2aud to dispense which considering that beer costs me $14aud per 24 litres I think that is good value. My time is not a factor. It's commercial equivelent would be $100aud.

Brewing is not a hobby of mine, I am a pensioner and like my beer and am satisfied with the kits that are available here in dear old OZ and the pleasent no hassle results they give. Coopers, Cascade, Supermarket brands and a lot from brew shops all good. From stouts and porters to light pilsners and lagers. Australian beer is mainly Lager, home brewed with higher temperature yeast. It does get hot here.

Well you did ask :mug:

thanks, that sounds like the right system for you. Are you considering a strongbow clone for your cider? I spent about 6 months in OZ in the early part of last year, stayed in your wonderful city for about 4 days and did the rest of my time in QLD at the Gold Coast.

I drank Aussie beer exclusively while I was over there though it is expensive, I found Coopers to be one of the more flavorful options. Drank everything from VB to Carlton, XXXX, Boags and Tooheys. It was a great experience. I love that they sell extract at the supermarket too!

As you found out most things are more expensive here compared with the US. even allowing for the fact that there is a slight difference in currancy conversion.

For anybody that has a TAD system. For maintenance
1. Do not store dispenser with tap off leave fully open
2. A smear of vasaline on the plasic threads stops binding
3. I wipe the soda bulb top with a tissue very slightly moistened with vegatable oil as I believe this helps preserve the seal.

Surgestion : I am thinking of drilling the base of a used soda bulb and fit and weld a Shroder valve. It will pass through the cap. That allows only one CO2 bulb to be used if the whole 6 litres is to be consumed. Or perhaps if it has been stored half empty and then the beer is required to be dispensed with a bit more pressure for the next use. No oxidisation would occur in an everning or within a short period.

Back to OZtops, I have just sampled some of the fermented grape juice. It was very dry but deliciously fruity and with a splash of lemonade and ice it was suprisingly good. more a drink for the ladies.

So easy buy juice add yeast fit top wait a week refrigerate rack in a clean container. Obviously it is stored in the fridge with a lovely spritzig flavour.

It is great backup to my main beer brewing activities

Back