Oxygenation kit, what is needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p_p

Reaction score
Hi all,

Can you help me understand what is required to put together a good oxygenation kit and how things connect together?

What I understand is needed and the order of connection is:

1) Disposable oxygen tank
2) Regulator (need for dials?)
3) Hepa Filter
3) Air Flow meter
4) tubing
5) wand
6) stone (0.5 or 2um)

Thanks

I dont think you need 2 through 3. A flow meeter would be good to have but most people just give a 60-90 second burst and call it a day.

I found it hard to peice it all out on my own because it was hard to find a fitting with left hand threading. I just got a kit from a homebrew shop and bought the o2 bottle at home depot.

RtyMy understanding is that you don't need the HEPA filter for pure oxygen since it is clean when it is put in the cylinder and also any bacteria that might infect the beer cannot survive in pure oxygen. You only need the filter for air systems, not pure O2 systems. I just have the tank valve, tubing, wand and stone. Didn't bother with any meters.

I submerge the tubing and the wand/stone in sanitizing solution. Then I hook the tubing up to the valve (already on the tank) and open the valve to blow sanitizer through the system. Then with the O2 still running I put the wand in the fermenter. I open the valve until I see a good stream of bubbles reaching the surface and then I back it off a bit so the bubbles just barely reach the surface. Move it around in the fermenter for 90 sec +/-. Then, with the O2 still running, I put the wand back in the sanitizer for a few seconds before turning the valve off.

I NEVER touch the stone but I still boil it every 5 brews or so just for maintenance.

Back