Oxygenated bottled water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solidghost

Reaction score
My company had a few of these, not sure whether this could save a lot of trouble for aeration? Just dump 1 or 2 bottles into the brew at the end?

oxygenated_water_bottle.jpg

premium_oxgyenated_water.jpg

hmmm so the way i understand how this works is that normally there are 8 milligrams of O2 per liter of water at room temperature. when you make 'super oxygenated water' you put it under pressure and it can add additional 40 mg into each liter per atmosphere. i hope i got that right there are a ton of website claiming its all bunk science.

ive never seen this stuff ...are there bubbles in it like club soda ?

Er... most regular water is oxygenated, too. That bottle looks like a gimmick.

The reason you have to aerate your wort is because the boiling drives any oxygen in it out, so it doesn't matter how much oxygen is in your water before you start, and if you're using top-off water, all you have to do is pour some of the water in, close the water jug, and shake the hell out of it before adding the rest... ta-da, oxygenated water!

No bubbles at all.
Taste pretty normal to me. And it's pretty cheap compared to other bottled mineral water.

No bubbles at all.
Taste pretty normal to me. And it's pretty cheap compared to other bottled mineral water.

To be sure, you'd have to measure how much O2 is actually in that water by taking a bottle to a chem or environmental lab and asking them to dip an oxygen probe into it. A more qualitative method would be to do a side-by-side comparison, where you'd split identical wort into at least two small batches (making sure you get the exact same OG and pitching temperature), top up with the same bottled water, and only shake the hell out of one while not touching the other. Then monitor the fermentation progress and document outcomes (final gravity, lag time, duration of fermentation, flavor characteristics, overall taste).

If it is supersaturated, quite a bit of the extra O2 will come out of solution when agitated, so you'll want to pour the bottles quite gently.

It's worth playing with if you use that bottled water anyway.

I read a report on these kind of oxygenated bottle water and they say that it does indeed contain more oxygen. However, a lot of these companies selling the oxygenated water claims that oxygenated water is supposed to be healthier and gives better health benefits to the person who drinks the water. The report says that the health benefits or "improvement in exercise" are a gimmick.

But what is important to us brewers is that it does state that it contains more oxygen. They use a syringe to draw the water out of the bottle.

http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/news/bottled-water.htm

Latest posts

Back