Oxygen Sources

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimEb

Reaction score
What do most people do to aerate their wort?

Previously I never even considered it…splashed the wort in when filling the carboy and still made beer. Now I’m starting to at least shake the carboy to aerate it. I would like to get a little more serious with minimal investment, don’t want to buy an oxygen tank. It’s sometimes challenging enough to get a CO2 tank filled.

I see aviation supply places sell little disposable canisters of oxygen. They are intended as supplemental breathing O2 for pilots flying at altitude. They have a cup on the end to place over your nose/mouth and take a drag (for lack of a better term). They are $10-$13 a can and probably would last you a few batches. Key is whether you could remove the delivery system and attach it to a tube of some sort.

Hydrogen Peroxide is a cheap, readily available source of O2. Just need to find something as cheap and available to use as a catalyst to get a reaction that’ll off gas pure O2. I see people do that in the fish/aquarium industry to oxygenate the water for the fish. Seems they use Manganese Dioxide as the catalyst….where does one find that?

Could use an aquarium pump and just pump air through a stone in the wort. However, not sure I want to pump my basement air through room temperature wort.

Any ideas?

The commonly sold tank adapters and wands are setup to use the disposable o2 bottles from home Depot tool department area.

H2O2 would likely oxidize components of your wort. I would not consider it a viable brewing component.

I use an in-line oxygenator system and find that I use very little oxygen in a batch. I get something like 20 batches out of one of those red oxygen tanks from the home improvement store. When I use dry yeast, I either don't oxygenate at all or use even less than with liquid yeast.

I use a 244 CuFt O2 Tank and a medical regulator to a sintered SS stone in a triclamp on the bottom dump port of my conical.

(I have a welding shop in my garage, so I have tons of compressed gases)

Just checked and sure enough, my local Home Depot sells oxygen...that changes everything and sounds like a much easier delivery/source method.

I never thought to look there. Thanks

I use the HD red O2 tanks with a stone. 30 seconds for normal brews and 60 for STRONG brews. I get 16-20 batchs per tank. Have never had a problems with getting fermentation going. Always 15-24 hours.

Make sure you keep the stone clean and sanitized. For sanitizing I use idophor as it (I believe) is a solution that will not clog the stone.

H2O2 would likely oxidize components of your wort. I would not consider it a viable brewing component.

I use an in-line oxygenator system and find that I use very little oxygen in a batch. I get something like 20 batches out of one of those red oxygen tanks from the home improvement store. When I use dry yeast, I either don't oxygenate at all or use even less than with liquid yeast.

Why would dry yeast need less oxygen?

Darn...you just missed Northern Brewers 20% off and free shipping sale. They have the regulators and stone kits that work with red o2 tanks for around $50...that's about what I paid for mine some time back.

Reportedly, dry yeast has more of the lipids needed for growth and therefore, there is less need to oxygenate the wort to enable the yeast to create lipids.

Dry yeast has more yeast cells than liquid and is packaged with the nutrients needed for cell reproduction.

Reportedly, dry yeast has more of the lipids needed for growth and therefore, there is less need to oxygenate the wort to enable the yeast to create lipids.

Thanks. There is not much discussion about dry yeast in Yeast by White and Zainasheff.

You know I have never seen a consensus on just how much oxygen is actually needed to promote healthy yeast growth or more importantly how to achieve those kind of levels. Perhaps its due to the different methods? Does anyone know?

Back