Oxyclean w/ blue pellets safe for homemade pbw?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domdom

Reaction score
was getting ready to make a batch of homemade pbw and found out the oxyclean i got in bulk has some small, blue pellets in it. looks to be the regular, name brand oxyclean and not some special formula. any idea of if it is okay to use for homemade pbw? thinking it just might be a
proprietary touch, but am a little worried about any dyes. thoughts?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-9 copy.jpg
    FullSizeRender-9 copy.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 129
  • IMG_5208 copy.jpg
    IMG_5208 copy.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 134
I have some of that, too. It makes a little lather when water is added, so maybe a bit of detergent was added. I didn't mix it to make DIY PBW, just use it by itself. I make sure to rinse a lot.

Maybe someone else knows the composition?

I think you're going to be better off with the OxiClean Free...there's no perfumes or fragrances, just a "plain vanilla" peroxide based cleaner. I suspect that those blue bits are fragrance/perfume bits. From what I read briefly online the actual active ingredients are the same as the Free version.

I use this, and it rinses clean after 1-2 rinses, and never fails to get off the most gunked up hop and trub debris, even if it sometimes takes a little bit of a soaking if I leave a carboy for too long. No residual odor...

medium.png

Last edited:
You bought laundry detergent with a catchy name!
The composition should be listed on the container.

Use the product that @biochemedic recommended^ or a generic (e.g., dollar store) version of it. It's the Sodium Percarbonate we're after. The balance should be Sodium Carbonate, a.k.a. (common) washing soda, not much of anything else.

I use a lot of regular washing soda for routine brewery equipment cleaning, and only homemade PBW (70% OxiClean + 30% TSP/90) for where it counts.

I used the Oxyclean with blue pellets for a long time before I even realized there was oxyclean "free." Never had an issue with it.

yeah, realized the oxy free is what i used last time. going to go with that.

I just bought 5x 5lb bags of pure sodium percarbonate instead of oxyfree. It ended up being a lot cheaper than the commercial stuff with no noticeable scent. So far it's working as well as my normal purchase. Need to get some TSP/90 to make up some PBW as well.

Back