Oxyclean Vs. Star-san

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodesbrew

Reaction score
I recently watched a few Brewing TV episodes (awesome, BTW!) and noticed that when ever they used Star-San, they didn't rinse anything after... Can you do the same with Oxyclean? Have I been wasting my time??

No, you're not wasting your time :) . Oxyclean is a cleaner, Star-san is a no-rinse sanitizer. Two different animals. Rinse off Oxyclean, don't rinse off Star-san.

Oxyclean is a cleaner and not a sanitizer. Starsan is a no-rinse sanitizer. You should be cleaning and sanitizing, in that order. I would not try to substitute Oxyclean for Starsan. Oxyclean needs to be rinsed and Starsan should not be rinsed.

I use both just as stated above. I haven't used a carboy brush in years. Just soak a rinsed (but dirty) carboy with warm water and Oxy overnight. Drain and rinse thoroughly the next day. Then dry.

I keep a milk jug with Star San diluted solution on hand and add a few ounces to sanitize everything just prior to use. Drain the starsan after it contacts all surfaces, but do not rinse!

Thanks! I've used just Oxyclean for years and never had a problem but I like the idea of no rinsing!

I think it's very unusual to skip the sanitizing step. Interesting that you've been doing it and haven't had a problem. According to Charley Talley of Five Star, cleaning theoretically eliminates the need for sanitizing - sanitizing is insurance. Since brewers generally clean after using equipment and sanitize just before using it, the sanitizing step doesn't really take any extra time. If you don't sanitize, I guess you'd have to clean again just before using it. That would actually take longer than sanitizing since sanitizing with Star San is no-rinse.

ncbrewer said:
I think it's very unusual to skip the sanitizing step. Interesting that you've been doing it and haven't had a problem. According to Charley Talley of Five Star, cleaning theoretically eliminates the need for sanitizing - sanitizing is insurance. Since brewers generally clean after using equipment and sanitize just before using it, the sanitizing step doesn't really take any extra time. If you don't sanitize, I guess you'd have to clean again just before using it. That would actually take longer than sanitizing since sanitizing with Star San is no-rinse.

Now that you say it, I do clean after I brew and then again right before... I always thought it was so much work! Now I just need to get some Starsan! Could you use Starsan to flush out a keg line in between kegs, or would Oxyclean followed by a rinse be fine?

Now that you say it, I do clean after I brew and then again right before... I always thought it was so much work! Now I just need to get some Starsan! Could you use Starsan to flush out a keg line in between kegs, or would Oxyclean followed by a rinse be fine?

Personally I would never clean - rinse then use without taking the extra step of sanitizing.

It may work but I would hate to lose a batch to infection because I didn't sanitize.

IMO - always clean then rinse, then sanitize, then the sanitized equipment

Personally I would never clean - rinse then use without taking the extra step of sanitizing.

It may work but I would hate to lose a batch to infection because I didn't sanitize.

IMO - always clean then rinse, then sanitize, then the sanitized equipment

I agree 100%. It's hard to argue with success, but to me the "insurance" aspect of sanitizing is well worth it.

Another way I look at it... starsan solution replaces the unsanitary tap water that I use to rinse off the cleanser. Even if I hadn't just cleaned the item, I would still want to rinse the dust off with something.

Has anyone had Oxyclean deposits form in the bottom of their kegs? If so how did you manage to get rid of them?

Has anyone had Oxyclean deposits form in the bottom of their kegs? If so how did you manage to get rid of them?

Are you sure it's not beerstone?

Oxyclean does often leave a cloudy film on things, and if a lot of rinsing doesn't get rid of it, then a weak acid such as lemon juice or vinegar in water, or even slightly stronger than normal dillution starsan will do the quick.

But in kegs, deposites can sometimes beer what I mentioned above. You might want to do some searching for that online.

Back