OxyClean Rocks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
All of you are so good. I read lots of comments about this stuff and tried it today to clean up a primary bucket today.

I left all of the crud on the sides and only rinsed out the yeast cake to feed the septic system. Filled her up with hot water and a scoop of the cleaner.

About an hour or later I drained the mixture out the spigot and only wiped the sides down as the water level dropped. Truly one wipe with a nylon covered sponge was all that was need to remove the crud.

This stuff now sits in my brewing gear as a staple product.

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

Yea, I rinsed it with hot water and different spounge wipeout. It was a 5 minute job at best. Very cool.

I use it for getting labels off of used bottles, and cleaning gunk out of my Better Bottles after fermenting in them. No scrubbing required!

I have heard (it was in a different thread) that oxy clean left for a long time can corrode stainless. It does oxidize metal. This problem was enhanced when there was undissolved oxyclean.

I had previously cleaned some cornies with oxy and left some of it in 12 or 24 hours.... hopefully no major harm was done, I know not all of them were soaked that long...

RegionalChaos said:
I have heard (it was in a different thread) that oxy clean left for a long time can corrode stainless. It does oxidize metal. This problem was enhanced when there was undissolved oxyclean.

I had previously cleaned some cornies with oxy and left some of it in 12 or 24 hours.... hopefully no major harm was done, I know not all of them were soaked that long...

BINGO! thats what happens

I use oxyclean, the generic sun cleaner stuff, to clean my kegs too. Leave them in over night to soak the insides and then turn them over while they are mostly full into a rubbermaid tub so I can let the top half of the kegs soak over night as well.

Have you had a keg get corroded that you owned personally? If so it would lend some credibility to that thought. Sounds like a myth to me.

I have Oxiclean sitting in 3 kegs right now. Today I'm going to empty them (not because of what was said) after soaking for 48 hours. Then starsan goes in, then I will transferring my Apfelwein to one to chill for a few months.

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
Well, I must have magic stainless steal kegs then.
:)

I'm pretty sure I have a bleach or an oxyclean mixture in keg right now that been sitting for well over 3 months. I'll let you guys know what damage it's sustained...if any.

If it is wrecked, I'll mark it down with the carboys I've broken, and the 3 piece air-locks I've discovered have a extremely low melting point.

:D

Latest posts

Back