Oxyclean is amazing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smalliewader

Reaction score
For months I've read about everyone raving about oxyclean. For months I've forgotten to grab some at the store. I remembered to buy some today. I will never clean labels off of another bottle without the stuff. Amazing!

PBR works for me every time too. But I only drink it after a day on the slopes so I can fit in with all the cool kids at the bar. Gotta rock the long T steez.

Save even more $ by using Sun brand oxygen cleaner from Walmart. Works the same as OxyClean for 1/5 the price.

God I love Oxyclean too. Cleans clothes, busts up organic crap stuck to carboys, cleans kegs...Im also pretty sure Oxyclean is the reason the sky is blue, grass is green and stars shine at night! All kidding aside, that stuff rocks.
-Jefe-

I had PBW on my wishlist until I got some oxyclean. Had a dried up krausen in my BB. Soaked for a couple of days and all the crud was on the bottom, I just poured it out and then I rinsed well. Took the PBW off the list.

So I soaked a carboy a bit too long and now I have beer stone or calcium deposits. Any advice for removing?

So I soaked a carboy a bit too long and now I have beer stone or calcium deposits. Any advice for removing?

How long did you soak it, and was it plastic? If it was plastic, you might try that oxidation remover that cleans the plastic on car headlights. If it was glass, Im not sure what to do.
-Jefe-

Malric said:

Any acid should remove it. CLR, or even Star San, if you don't leave it too long.

I really prefer to use PBW, because there are no added scents at all, and it seems to rinse a bit easier than OxiClean, BUT, for the price difference, I will take Oxiclean any day of the week! Works just as well. I have a water softener, and have never experienced the scaling that others describe, even if soaking 24 hours or more.

I really prefer to use PBW, because there are no added scents at all, and it seems to rinse a bit easier than OxiClean, BUT, for the price difference, I will take Oxiclean any day of the week! Works just as well. I have a water softener, and have never experienced the scaling that others describe, even if soaking 24 hours or more.

Look for Oxicleen "Free". It doesn't have anything but soap in it.

For months I've read about everyone raving about oxyclean. For months I've forgotten to grab some at the store. I remembered to buy some today. I will never clean labels off of another bottle without the stuff. Amazing!

1 cup ammonia + 5 gallons water = MUCH better bottle label remover than oxyclean, and it's super cheap. Labels just float off in the bucket - especially when using hot water.

as part of my "operation", I have a 5 gallon bucket in the garage filled with oxyclean solution. Whenever I have a beer with a label, just take it out and dump it in the bucket. When the bucket is full of bottles, just take them out, rinse and store. I change out the solution every so often.... I know it is time to change it when I grab a bottle that has been soaking and the label hasn't fallen off (It still comes off... I just have to peel it off).

huge1s said:
as part of my "operation", I have a 5 gallon bucket in the garage filled with oxyclean solution. Whenever I have a beer with a label, just take it out and dump it in the bucket. When the bucket is full of bottles, just take them out, rinse and store. I change out the solution every so often.... I know it is time to change it when I grab a bottle that has been soaking and the label hasn't fallen off (It still comes off... I just have to peel it off).

Leave those bottles too long and you'll likely have calcium deposits all over your bottles, giving the impression of etching... unless your water is ridiculously soft.

eltorrente said:
1 cup ammonia + 5 gallons water = MUCH better bottle label remover than oxyclean, and it's super cheap. Labels just float off in the bucket - especially when using hot water.

Considering that oxyclean is absolutely perfect at removing labels, it's really not possible to be better, let alone MUCH better. That statement makes me pretty confident you've never used the stuff and just pulled the comparison out of your ass... but of course, this being the Internet and all, you're bound to insist the contrary either way.

Now, it may very well be JUST AS perfect as Oxyclean, and it does has that price advantage. But oxyclean is so useful in the brewery *beyond label removal* as a VERY effective cleaning agent, that everyone should have it on hand anyways. And using it to soak bottles provides the added benefit breaking up any sanitation-interfering crud or oils that you might not get with a bottle washer/brush, or even know is left behind.

Considering that oxyclean is absolutely perfect at removing labels, it's really not possible to be better, let alone MUCH better. That statement makes me pretty confident you've never used the stuff and just pulled the comparison out of your ass... but of course, this being the Internet and all, you're bound to insist the contrary either way.

Now, it may very well be JUST AS perfect as Oxyclean, and it does has that price advantage. But oxyclean is so useful in the brewery *beyond label removal* as a VERY effective cleaning agent, that everyone should have it on hand anyways. And using it to soak bottles provides the added benefit breaking up any sanitation-interfering crud or oils that you might not get with a bottle washer/brush, or even know is left behind.

Can't you get your point across without being insulting?

Back