Oxy Clean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max-the-knife

Reaction score
I'm going to move my Kolsch to the 2ndary this weekend and find that I'm out of PBW cleaner. What will happen if I use Oxy Clean followed by StarSan?

I cleaned my secondary well before putting it in storage.

I've also used OxyFree for carboys when I've run out of PBW and had good results. The one thing I notice is more white residue on the outside of the carboy from spillage. Otherwise it seems to do a great job!

The major difference between PBW and OxyFree is the chelator. PBW is an alkaline and a surfactant (oxygen activated component that roughs up the surface) just like OxyClean but PBW includes the chelator which effectively softens the water. I like using the oxy free on smaller items like blow off hoses, starter vessels, etc.

There is a great Brew Stong episode on cleaning that talks about how the PBW does the job. Pretty interesting stuff!

Not a fan of Oxy clean, left it in a keg for a week and had a pitting affect on the inside. B-Brite or PBW for me.

Oxyclean will not attack SS, but chlorine bleach certainly will. PBW is a great product, but too expensive IMO.

Now I've seen three different spellings, so is there a difference between OxyClean and OxyFree and OxyClean Free ?

Thanks!

Oxyclean works as well on carboys as PBW does at a fraction of the price. Just make sure you get Oxyclean Free as it has not dyes, perfumes.

I save the PBW for my stainless and use Oxyclean on my carboys. :)

Now I've seen three different spellings, so is there a difference between OxyClean and OxyFree and OxyClean Free ?

All are wrong. It is actually Oxi Clean and it works wonderfully. Just don't use to much. A little goes a long way.

Thanks!

Yes and no.

OxiClean (aka OxyClean) has perfumes, dyes and chlorine in it. All of these are bad for your brewing equipment.

OxyClean Free and OxyFree are essentially the same thing I guess its just HBT slang :).
The PROPER name is Oxi Clean Free. This is what you are looking for.

Products%5C57037-51740.jpg

Where the hell is Billy Mays when you need him? Oh wait, nevermind......

Do any of you guys have better luck with certain things by soaking in StarSan? I ask because it seems that when I try to 'really' clean my boil kettle (after many uses with just a light scrub) that PBW only does so much but then if I follow the PBW with StarSan...the StarSan really 'polishes' it up and gets it looking brand new again. I used 'old' StarSan before I tossed it out.

For most things PBW (and I'm sure OxiClean) cleans way better than StarSan but it seems this is one case where StarSan does 'clean' really well.

For most of my brewing equipment, I actually just use hot wanter and a soft sponge. No cleaners needed. For carboys/fermenters when a cleaning gets tougher, that is when I use Oxi Clean. I also use it to soak empty bottles of commercial beer to remove lables and reuse for homebrew. Just give it a good rinse afterwards and you are good to go. I have never had off flavors in any of my beers (knock on wood).

Doeas anyone actually notice the perfumes from the regular Oxiclean? I have been using that to clean the krausen fron the tops of glass fermentors, works great with little effort. Also used it to peel the labels and get the crud out of the bottom of bottles. Didn't notice a smell from the perfume, but did notice that the bottles were very greasy. After a hot rinse and sanitize in the dishwasher, everything was ok.

Doeas anyone actually notice the perfumes from the regular Oxiclean? I have been using that to clean the krausen fron the tops of glass fermentors, works great with little effort. Also used it to peel the labels and get the crud out of the bottom of bottles. Didn't notice a smell from the perfume, but did notice that the bottles were very greasy. After a hot rinse and sanitize in the dishwasher, everything was ok.

I used it for a while out of necessity and the perfume smell is light. After I rinse it the perfume smell was gone as far as I could tell. My beer turned out fine using the scented version to clean cornies, bottles and plastic fermenters. I simply switched to the oxiclean free for piece of mind.

+1 on the oxy-love-train.
I have finally gone through a tub of Oxyclean after many years of home brewing and using it in laundry, general cleaning when I bother to do it, etc.
Never had it pit any SS, and I have left it soaking for a week or more. I use 1/2 scoop, and it just works for me.
Mix the stuff with just a little simple green and spray it and forget it. (Oh, different commercial sorry)
The stuff rocks and I take back everything bad I ever said about Billy M.
Use the Free stuff, I rinse twice with hot water, once with cool, inside and out.
It just works at a good price.

On brew day, before brewing, I clean the coolers, brew kettle, hoses, and fittings with Oxi Clean and a brush. A thorough rinse with the garden hose leaves no noticeable scent or residue on the equipment, and I think I am not using the "free" type. I've got to check now.

We have been using Oxi Clean in laundry for years, and no problems with the septic. Although, we switched from powdered laundry detergent to liquid since the powdered stuff has fillers that collect in the septic tank. Oxi Clean appears not to do that, perhaps because of the smaller amounts used.

As for carboys and primary fermentation buckets I use water and a brush only, then sanitize with Iodophor. I am worried about leaving soap residue inside, especially in the carboys where it is hard or impossible to scrub with a brush. I think that the plastic bristles of my dish brush (clean and dedicated to brewing only) will not scratch the primary buckets in a significant way. Anybody disagrees? That's what I have always done, and so far so good.

Do any of you guys have better luck with certain things by soaking in StarSan? I ask because it seems that when I try to 'really' clean my boil kettle (after many uses with just a light scrub) that PBW only does so much but then if I follow the PBW with StarSan...the StarSan really 'polishes' it up and gets it looking brand new again. I used 'old' StarSan before I tossed it out.

For most things PBW (and I'm sure OxiClean) cleans way better than StarSan but it seems this is one case where StarSan does 'clean' really well.

The acid in starsan is removing light beer stone and water deposits.

PBW removes organic crud and proteins.

OxiClean free OK to use to clean keg lines? They've been sitting dirty for a long bit as I've been too busy to clean the keg and lines properly...

*hangs head and kicks pebbles*

Back