OXY-CLEAN Rules!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MashStirBrew

Reaction score
I took the advice of some of the HBT members and started using OXY- CLean for a cleaner in my better bottles. All I can say is "WOW", and no this is not an info-mercial. I had a cherry stout in the primary for 3 weeks that fermented pretty viciously and left that caked on residue on the top. Filled it with OXY/water and within ten minutes all of the crud was gone. It looked like a vicious fermentation when the water came in contact with the gunk. With chunks of it swirling around and everything. I wish I would have recorded it. I did all this after I swirled onestep water to get rid of the yeast cake and try to break up the caked on crud but, it did not make a dent. For any doubters out there, you don’t know what you are missing. That was the easiest clean I have ever done.

Thanks

Amen brother. Picked that trick up here a while ago. Wish I had tried it YEARS ago!

I've used oxy-clean and powdered dishwasher soap. They BOTH rock!!! I like my cascade dishwasher soap better though. Works as good and it's cheaper!

Grimsawyer said:
I've used oxy-clean and powdered dishwasher soap. They BOTH rock!!! I like my cascade dishwasher soap better though. Works as good and it's cheaper!

Ah... but soap is ... soap. Not good for head retention.

Oxyclean, in proper quantities (I use one scoop for a 5-6 gal fermentor) is great stuff, and fairly cheap. Works wonders in the dishwasher for removing labels at the same time that I'm sanitizing. (I clean bottles once emptied, so I just need to sanitize at bottling time)

butler1850 said:

hmm... mine seems just fine. *shrug* dishwasher soap or oxy-clean... who cares, NO MORE SCRUBBING!!! that's what's important. (a bit off topic... I don't think dishsoap is really soap at all. Maybe someone would like to chime in and explain what the chemicals really are that do the magic.... I searched the web and came up with Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Cilicate, Chlorine Bleach in the liquid version. Not sure if that's the same as the powdered. Oxiclean/oxyclean [same thing, oxyclean is the misspelling of oxiclean] is made up of sodium percarbonate, soda ash and some cute little blue grains which are patented. It is more enviromentaly friendly too. hmmm... if we should call this soap as well, then refuse to use it because it might kill head retention! hehe, j/k butler1850. :D it IS a great product. And after my big ass box of cascade is gone maybe i'll give her a whirl again. :) )

butler1850 said:

Dishwashing "detergent" is not a detergent/soap in the traditional sense of surfactant, but rather a pretty powerful caustic agent that works in a similar fashion as drain opener in that it "eats" the soiled stuff off of dishes, brew equipment, etc. This is why some dishes are not dishwasher "safe", as they cannot stand up to the high pH of a caustic dishwashing "detergent".

Well, that solves it. I'm going to have pick up some oxyclean and see for myself what all the hub-bub is about..

I started using OxyClean for removing labels. I just soak them for about a half hour and the labels fall off with no glue residue....SWEET!

If you just stick the bottles in hot water for 30 minutes the labels will fall off on their own. Maybe it's just the water.

mward said:
If you just stick the bottles in hot water for 30 minutes the labels will fall off on their own. Maybe it's just the water.

you will still have a bit of glue residue, not much but a tad. Now if you fill them bottles up and drop them in then you clean them and remove the lables all at the same time! rinse, dry and put them away for bottling day. then all you have to do is sanitize and all is well in brew land! :)

mward said:

you will still have a bit of glue residue, not much but a tad. Now if you fill them bottles up and drop them in then you clean them and remove the lables all at the same time! rinse, dry and put them away for bottling day. then all you have to do is sanitize and all is well in brew land! :)

When I used warm water I found that the labels came off but the glue was more gummy. Sam Adams bottle are the worst for that....cold water worked better. When I added the OxyClean I didn't even have to wipe the bottles. Also, as mentioned before, my bottles were cleaned at the same time so all had to do is sanitize.

I usually clean the bottles, then run them through a cycle in the dishwasher with no soap and let them heat dry.....then I sanitize. Time consuming but gives me peace of mind.

When I used warm water I found that the labels came off but the glue was more gummy. Sam Adams bottle are the worst for that....cold water worked better. When I added the OxyClean I didn't even have to wipe the bottles. Also, as mentioned before, my bottles were cleaned at the same time so all had to do is sanitize.

I usually clean the bottles, then run them through a cycle in the dishwasher with no soap and let them heat dry.....then I sanitize. Time consuming but gives me peace of mind.

Howdy All,

May I also reccomend a product called "Sun Brand" oxygen cleaner. After discussions on another board, I found it at Big Lots/ Odd Lots.
It's ~$3 for a tub and is great for general cleaning, carboys and bottles. It DOES need to be rinsed well. A hot water soak w/ sun and bottles come clean with no residue. The labels slide right off.
I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Bob

Latest posts

Back