Oxy Clean in Aluminum Pot (revisited)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTBird

Reaction score
With Thanksgiving day looming, I have a decision to make. This past year I have used my Turkey frying pot as a cleaning vessel for my wort chiller. I would fill it up with oxy clean and water and let my wort chiller soak to remove debris. My question is, now I have the dreaded dark black coating on the inside of the pot, and I need to fry turkeys next week with said pot.

I know this is not really a homebrew question but I don't know where else to go with this question. Will this oxy clean layer negatively effect my turkey frying?

"Oxyclean layer"?

That's funny right there.

The blackish aluminum oxide isn't going to hurt anything, turkeys or otherwise.
It serves in brewing to keep the rest of the aluminum kettle out of the acid wort; I expect it will persist through a day bathing in hot oil.

But...at the end of the festivities and you clean out that oil-soaked kettle, you might remove some of that oxide layer. You might want to re-passivate the kettle before brewing with it again...

Cheers!

Get some mag cleaner with Hydrofluoric Acid in it - I'll be that will take the oxidation off.

Back