Oxidation Woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmoewes

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got some score sheets back from a competition and while my beer did win a silver both judges mentioned multiple times about oxidation issues specifically mentioning it was a good beer but must have some process issue that caused oxidation. So I am trying to figure out where and what might be causing it.

So following brewday once the wort goes into the carboy (plastic big mouth bubbler) it goes into my chest freezer for temperature control. I only open it to add some dry hops (unscrew the lid, lift it off, drop them in, close it again).

When I keg, I fill the keg up with sanitizer, then push it out with co2 so that should be fully purged. I only remove the stopper from my carboy to slip the auto-siphon in for transfer. My auto-siphon is attached to a tap connector so I siphon straight into the keg through the beer out post(right to the bottom of the keg). I crack the lid to allow the co2 to be pushed out while it id filling from the bottom up.

Once it's transfered I reseal the lid and then purge the headspace 3-4 time (which should already be only co2 since the keg was purged).

Then carb and serve.

The only thing I can think of is that when I fill my bottles. I use a party tap with a bottle filler wand inserted. Crank back the pressure and fill. I cap with the oxygen absorbing caps.

Other than filling bottles I don't know what I might be doing wrong. How quickly does oxidation off flavor take to show up. I'm wondering if I filled a growler and immediately brought it to some people to taste is that long enough? If that wasn't oxidized that would point to my bottling being the issue wouldn't it??

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The only thing I can guess is that the oxidiation is a result of filling bottles. Do you know how long after you bottled your entries that the judges tried them? I have an entry into a competition that I submitted 45 days ago and the results don't come out for another 3 weeks. I have no idea when those bottles will be cracked open or if they already have.

My point is that if you aren't purging your bottles before filling then it's possible they will get oxidized if they sit for a while. I would look into the blichmann beer gun or make your own for cheap (tutorials online). Your brewing process looks sound so I'm leaning towards bottling being the culprit.

Back