Oxidation Risk for Transporting fermented beer before bottling or kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Contradiction

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've got a 5 gallon batch of beer I brewed sometime ago in a carboy right now and I've been perpetually putting kegging or bottling off since I am getting ready to buy kegging equipment.

Well my procrastination is doing me harm because I have to move to a new apt. by Friday! :(

So what I'm wondering is will carefully driving it across town in the back seat of my car possibly cause it to aerate and or oxidize because it's sloshing around?

It's about a 10 min. drive between the 2 places. I would try and keep it in place by putting it in a tote bin and packing the sides with towels to keep it from moving.

If I have no other choice I will bottle it before I move, but I'd much rather transport it and then keg it later when I have everything I need to do that.

I would say take the airlock out and stick a stopper in the hole and you will be fine. If you have a CO2 tank, you can put a little bit of CO2 in the airlock hole before you seal it up. Just my two cents...

Latest posts

Back