Oxidation problems for new brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopzz

Reaction score
Relatively new to brewing here: have only made two 1 gallon batches - they turned out pretty good.

But looking to make 5 gallon batches from now on but have a question about oxidation....I normally use a slightly larger primary and then a smaller secondary fermenting container but am going to just do a longer primary and see how it turns out without a secondary.

Will a 5 gallon batch work well in a 6.5 gallon ale pail if I plan on keeping it in there for three weeks?? Or am I going to have oxidation issues?

Please help a new brewer out.

It's fine - I never secondary and use 6 gal carboys and 6/5 buckets - probably oxidize more in transfer than with the headspace

Ok...I'm guessing oxidation is more of a concern if you're doing a secondary ferment?

Thanks for your quick replies too.

Nah, you should be okay as long as you've got a good seal on those pails. I have a 14 gallon conical these days and regularly do 5 and 10 gallon batches in it so have loads of headspace for those smaller batches and no issues so far.

Oxidation is a concern when storing beer for long periods of time in plastic (permeable to oxygen) and when transferring. When you first pitch yeast you want a lot of oxygen, the yeast use it to reproduce, they will use up the oxygen in the wort and create CO2 when they make alcohol. The CO2 will displace the remaining oxygen in the fermentor, that is what is bubbling out of the airlock.

You need to be worried about oxygen once the wort is beer. When you transfer beer you can very easily introduce oxygen by splashing it around, or having an air pocket in the tubing of the siphon, things like that. I'm in the "skip the secondary" camp, just one less spot to worry about oxygen getting into the beer. Be careful with splashing when you bottle and do primary only and you should be fine.

The thing is, there is no "secondary" fermentation. It's not fermenting at all in the secondary. It's more of a place to clear stuff out. Leave it in the primary for 2-3 weeks then bottle or keg or whatever you want with it. Use your secondary to make Apfelwein like it was intended.

Thanks again for all the feedback. Just started a Summer Ale and it's fermenting in my ale bucket. I don't plan on touching it for at least 2-3 weeks before bottling. I normally do a secondary with gelatin fining but I'm going to skip that and see how it turns out.

A longer primary would be a lot less work!

Oxygenation is not an issue with only a few weeks in a bucket. Save yourself some trouble and do not bother transfering to a secondary. I never do for most of my beers.

The only time I transfer is for a brew that is going to age for an extended time. Sours and brett beers get transfered, all others do not.

Back