Oxiclean - Soak or just clean equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goody0

Reaction score
For those who use oxiclean to clean equipment such as plastic primary ferm pale, should I be soaking the pale in oxiclean (if so how long) or can I just wash it like you would dishes... hot water oxciclean and a cotton hand towel?

Thanks

I use it to clean my plastic Better Bottles and just soak them ( sometimes for days if I forget ). Let the oxiclean do the work for you. Usually, I empty the BB except for a quart, shake the hell out of it, and rinse. No stuck krausen, no off smell.

For those who use oxiclean to clean equipment such as plastic primary ferm pale, should I be soaking the pale in oxiclean (if so how long) or can I just wash it like you would dishes... hot water oxciclean and a cotton hand towel?

Thanks

Use it to clean with. Therefore, soak as you would a hard to get out mess. Just don't let it sit for days. Although I have and have not had any problem.

BTW, FWIW If I am cleaning something that comes in contact with wort or the beer, I rinse using my sanitizer left over from a previous brew day and then store it sanitized. Of course, I will resanitize when I am about to use that piece of equipment again.

No problems with oxyclean, remember to use something soft to wipe plastic with like a soft sponge or soft rag, etc. I also have left oxyclean in my receptacles for days without any adverse effects.

Oxyclean also gets the brown/orange stain out of plastic when it's left in/with sanitizer too long.

I've had some carboys that wouldn't come clean even after a 24 hour soak in oxyclean. Someone on my our local forum recommended letting the carboy full of oxyclean sit in the sun for a few hours. Worked like a charm! Got all of the crud off with just a few shakes.

Back