Oxiclean blunder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txags2011

Reaction score
Help!

so I managed to accidentally rinse my SS Brewbucket with a keg of Oxiclean free that I thought was my keg of starsan. (Weekday evening brewing risks) Didn’t rinse before adding my wort, definitely a little foamy but I didn’t think anything of it at the time...

Am I hosed/dumping? Or should it be ok? Is it dangerous in any way or maybe just off flavor? I have a substantial dry hop charge (5oz) so I’m having a hard time separating the flavors. I think I’m going ahead and kegging to see how it is carbed, but wanted to hear any thoughts.

thanks!

Oxiclean's active ingredient is Sodium Percarbonate, which is a bleach and a sanitiser. It breaks down into water, minerals and oxygen. You'll be fine.

You're looking at potential off flavors, not anything dangerous. Percarbonate solutions are used as no-rinse sanitizers, even though they aren't particularly good for that application.
If it tastes fine, it's ok.

Just making sure...
You do know the main active component of Oxiclean is only good for less than a day, right? So keeping a keg of it long-term is pointless. You just happened to have one soaking?

First post 4+ years after joining!
Welcome to HBT :)

So keeping a keg of it long-term is pointless.
This. First-hand experience with this. Sanitized some bottles with it, thinking I'll sanitize now and bottle later. A few weeks later, opened the bottles (flip-tops) and found mould all over the seals. That's when I learned it doesn't last long and it breaks down into water, minerals and oxygen, which makes it the perfect growth medium for all kinds of dodgy stuff.

ok thanks for the input! Yes 4 long years lol and I lurked even before that! Better late than never.

regarding the keg, ya I had one keg soaking with Oxiclean and grabbed it instead purely absentmindedly.

Well see how it tastes once carbed up!

Back