Overwhelmed the beer with cherries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dienster

Reaction score
So I took a dry stout extract kit and added 8 ounces of roasted and crushed cocoa beans, soaked in kirsch and 3 cans of tart cherries to secondary. I didn't get enough cherry flavor after a couple weeks so added an ounce of extract to the bottling bucket and now 2 weeks after bottling the cherry is overwhelming. If it was a meatier stout or porter it think the cherry would be ok but it is too much for this beer.

Will the brightness of the cherry fade with time or am I stuck drinking it like this?

thanks,
Steve

If the problem is the cherry extract you added, it will likely age out. I had the same problem with a chocolate raspberry stout I brewed last winter. It took about 8 weeks for the raspberry flavor to subside enough to get the flavors from the stout as well.

"3 cans of tart cherries to secondary. I didn't get enough cherry flavor after a couple weeks so added an ounce of extract to the bottling bucket and now 2 weeks after bottling the cherry is overwhelming."

Steve, I was thinking of making a Cherry Stout as my next beer
Q. What size batch did you make?
Q. What size was the Can of tart cherries?
Q. with the issue you are having with the cherries can you tast the chocolate?

Yeah, extract flavors can be a little intense... sometimes so strong that it doesn't even taste like what it's supposed to anymore.

For now, just let it sit and it will probably mellow. In the future, though, avoid extracts. Stick with fresh, frozen, dried, and canned fruit.

Steve, I was thinking of making a Cherry Stout as my next beer
Q. What size batch did you make?

5G dry stout kit from my LHBS, americanbrewmaster.com

Q. What size was the Can of tart cherries?

They were oregon tart cherries, I think 15 oz each. I crushed them in my hands but probably should have tossed them in a blender to get better extraction

Q. with the issue you are having with the cherries can you taste the chocolate?

The chocolate is there but the extract cherry flavor overwhelms it. It's not a hershey's chocolate but a more refined roasted chocolate flavor. The cherry is so bright that I think once it mellows in a few weeks it will be pretty even. I'll post back in a few weeks once I taste it again.

I got the beans from Escazu , roasted them in my oven for 30 minutes at 325.

Yeah, extract flavors can be a little intense... sometimes so strong that it doesn't even taste like what it's supposed to anymore.

For now, just let it sit and it will probably mellow. In the future, though, avoid extracts. Stick with fresh, frozen, dried, and canned fruit.

I looked back at the bottle and I didn't even use 3/4 of an ounce. It really can take over a beer if there's not a lot of flavor in it.

If the problem is the cherry extract you added, it will likely age out. I had the same problem with a chocolate raspberry stout I brewed last winter. It took about 8 weeks for the raspberry flavor to subside enough to get the flavors from the stout as well.

Thanks. I had some background cherry in there before the extract but wanted it more up front. I guess I got that but too much. I hope it ages out in a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back