Overshot OG on extract brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hurls

Reaction score
So I brewed my 6th batch this weekend (Hophead IPA kit from beer-wine.com, my lhbs). It was a pretty basic extract kit (see recipe below). I did make a few changes:

I added some rice solids to up the ABV a bit

I also tossed the priming sugar into the boil (I force carb in the keg so the priming sugar packet in the kit would go to waste otherwise)

I got a new 9 gallon pot so this was my first full boil

Lastly, I tried using some malto Dexterine for the first time

Based on all this, beersmith gave me an estimated OG of 1.060, but my actual OG came in at 1.072. I've missed my OG before by a couple of points, but this is the largerest miss I've had. I'm not very concerned about the result; a hoppy IPA that might put me on my a$$ is not a bad thing, but I am interested to know why I got the result I did. Two things I suspect could have caused the higher OG:

I entered the ingredents in beersmith wrong. The closest thing to rice solids was flaked rice. Not sure this makes a diffrence, but I don' know.

The crush of the grains was very fine. I think this might be the issue. I had the lhbs crush the grains for me and it was much finer (the husks were completey crushed and a lot of flour in the bottom of the bag). My theory is that the fine crush gave me much higher efficiency.

The recipe called for a 20 min steep, but I went for ~25 min. I can't imagive the extra 5 min would cause such a spike in OG, but maybe it did.

Can anyone help me confirm the cause?

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 73.30 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 10.47 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.24 %
0.50 lb Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5.24 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2.62 %
1.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 59.6 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (30 min) Hops 15.3 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
0.28 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.55 oz Burton Water Salts (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
4.00 oz Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.30 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 3.14 %
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [Starter 1892 ml] Yeast-Ale

as i see it there are 3 possibilities here. one you added more fermentable than you thought. LHBSs don't necessarily measure their extract bags that accurately. the rice possibly could of been more fermentable than you expected. two you may of added less water than you thought. this will up your OG allot depending on how short you are with the water. three you could of had a WAY higher efficiency than you expected. this will also give you more sugars than you expect.

the first two i would say are more likely than anything. or it could of been a combination of all 3. review your process and see if any of these things make sense.

Back