Overlaying dank dry-hop on a citrus hop-bomb - thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetcell

Protruding Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i made 6 gallons of an amber IPA and in the last 10 mins of the boil (including a 170*F hop-stand) put in 4 oz of cascade and 4 oz of amarillo. yeah, i went kinda heavy... i had beers like heady topper and pliny on my mind :ban:

not surprisingly the aroma coming out of the carboy is that of a total citrus bomb. smells like grapefruit juice thanks. i made an amarillo SMaSH with these hops and it turned out in the same vein.

it's time to throw in the dry-hops tonight. generally i like to keep the dry-hops in the same vein as the late-addition hops, but here i'm thinking of bringing the dank: dry-hopping with simcoe and columbus, with maybe just a touch of amarillo - like 1.75 simcoe, 1.75 columbus, and 0.5 amarillo. i'd use chinook if i could, but i don't have any on hand.

has anyone tried a dank dry-hop on top of a citrusy/fruity beer?

"has anyone tried a dank dry-hop on top of citrusy"

...It's called Pliny the Elder.

"has anyone tried a dank dry-hop on top of citrusy"

...It's called Pliny the Elder.

i see your point, but pliny has a bunch of simcoe in the boil so there is some dank to start with. what i'm wondering about is adding a dank dry-hop to a beer that is otherwise dankless.

i'm quite curious about those folk's experience, but i'm pretty certain that i'm going to try this out regardless.

Hi sweetcell,

I've said this in a few other threads... That the dryhop tends to dominate the focus of the beer. So if you start with a citrusy base and dryhop with Apollo/Summit/Chinook/Columbus at the rate of 1 oz. dryhops per gallon of beer, then you should have a strong sense of dank in the final beer. It won't be as dank as a beer that was layered with dank hops at all stages, but it will still give off decent amounts of dank.

Back