Overhopped Amber IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
San Antonio has just recently begun to accept a more modern culture it seems. Up until recently it's been sorta bland... Not that I'm a well cultured individual, but SWMBO claims to be. Being from Kansas City it's boring here for her.

Ha!! That's awesome. :mug: I always thought of SA and Austin as being the great culture centers of Texas, but whatta I know, I only lived in Houston and D/FW as a transplanted Chicagoan. I've only been to SA once, and it was really before I was too into craft beers.

Austin is much more modern than SA. I'd venture to guess that Dallas has been more open to culture than SA, and Houston, well, I try to stay out of there. It's diverse alright, but the traffic and attitude seems too much to bear for me!

SA had been clinging more to it's history until maybe the last 4-5 years. It's grown a lot in the last 10 years, and more so with more modern things lately. But not enough to hold SWMBO's attention well enough. But then again she thinks KC's BBQ is better too! She gets a south Texas whoopin' for that though! And I ain't no dadgum Texan as I was a military brat who stayed behind when I became an adult. Tired of moving around!

I think that TX gets Green Flash, I'm pretty I discovered them when I was living in Dallas a few yrs ago. But I totally know whatcha mean, it's hit or miss where the good beers are down there, should be some good spots in SA though.

Skeezer's clone? Oh yeah, that beer's the sh¡¡¡¡¡t!! Better than the real ZD. I mentioned GF's IPAs cuz they're right along the line of what the OP was talking about, very firmly bittered, and pretty readily available many places. Three Floyds makes some of my favorite hop bombs, them and Surly, but I don't think FFF's distros to TX and I know Surly doesn't.

That's the one, kicked off another streak of brewing for me. The only thing I did was add more dry hops, and used white labs dry English ale yeast. Basically just added as many as I could fit into the carboy lol Lost about a gallon of beer doing that though.

Went to stone anniversary yesterday, my favorite IPA there was this one:
http://kneedeepbrewing.com/year-round-beers/simtra-3x-ipa/
I think the sign there was 11.3% not 10.1 though, but either way you couldn't tell it as haigh ABV witht he punch of hops it delivered.

Coarse I didn't get to try all the IPAs. Russian River had a pretty good sour too.

Back