Overcarbonated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burtlake1985

Reaction score
So this may be a rookie mistake or maybe just ignorance. But I bottled my first batch just over a week ago. I didn't measure my full volume of beer but I have between 4.5 - 5 gallons. (most likely on the lower end of that scale)

When it came to bottling I put the full 5 oz of priming sugar packet (after boiling it with the 2 cups of water, per the instructions) into my bottling bucket and mixed in my beer, then bottled.

While doing some reading after the fact...I'm thinking I may have over primed my beer. However I'm still yet to have any bottle bombs, and I don't really notice any unusual activity in my bottles.

Beer is being stored at ~68* (same as fermenting temp)

Recipe is:

Brewer's Best IPA: (OG = 1.070, FG = 1.018)

Any thoughts on what holds for the future of my bottled beer?

Don't worry, you'll be fine. If you're beer finished fermenting, to only thing left to ferment is the dextrose you had. 5 oz for 5 gallons (or 4.5) is not enough to make a bottle bomb.

This look like a good ratio for an american pale ale or something "medium" carbonated

Back