Overall spice addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thf24

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm going to start on a holiday ale in a few weeks, and I'm trying to figure out if there's an upper limit on the total amount of spice I should use. I want to use cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice in a 5 gallon batch with a target OG and FG of 1.051 and 1.013. I'm also planning on adding orange zest to the secondary if that makes a difference. I'm seeing a max of 1 tsp or 1/2 ounce of any given single spice from most sources, but I can't find any information on any kind total maximum. It would be much appreciated if anyone could give me some advice on the matter.

edit: I was planning on adding the spices at flameout, but let me know if I should do something different.

Had great success on 3 batches with these ground spices profile (in 10 gal batches). Added the for last minute of boil. Used same ones on pumpkin ale and winter warmer.

Cinnamon 2 tsp
Allspice 1 tsp
Ginger 0.5 tsp
Cloves 0.5 tsp

Back