Overactive yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireEmt37

Reaction score
I started a Kolsch yesterday and for the first time used an aeration system before pitching the yeast. I awoke this morning to a hissing sound and what appears to be yeast and foam coming out of my airlock on top. I burped the container and a few minutes later it was doing again.

I would assume the batch is ruined. Has anyone had this problem using an aeration system. It never happened before with the old rock the fermentor conatainer for a few minutes approach.

Happened to me recently, using Wyeast 2565, and no aeration. When I woke up, 10 hrs into fermentation, I had a volcano. Lasted about a day and a half then settled down. I bottled it yesterday, lost about a gallon to blowoff.

Your batch is fine. Remove the airlock and replace it with a blowoff tube if you can. Otherwise clean the airlock and keep an eye for when fermentation slows so you can replace it. As long as there's active fermentation forcing CO2 and krausen out the top, the chances of anything getting IN are pretty low....

May want to check your ferm temps too, cooling it may temporarily slow things down, although mine occurred at about 64 degrees wort temp.

Thats the yeast I used also. I will check on it again tomorrow and if seems like it has slowed down, I will clean and replace the airlock. Thanks.

Back