over reduction of wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ale1

Reaction score
I have done two all grain kits one ,gal batches. the first time I ended up with much less than a gallon after boil.so this time I paid more attention to starting with enough wort to lose some during boil, and I boiled at a much lower temp...to the point that I was worried that it wasn't really boiling..just simmering. Still, ended up with even less than the first time. I added some water to get it up to the gal. mark but that should be a back up, not plan A. What am I doing wrong?

If you can, I'd consider getting Beer Smith. It does a good job of calculating volumes needed. There's a free trial so you could give it a try.

for a 5 gallon batch, i put between 5.50-5.75 of water to figure in boil offs... but I dont see a problem with filling it back to a gallon if you are little short

I have done two all grain kits one ,gal batches. the first time I ended up with much less than a gallon after boil.so this time I paid more attention to starting with enough wort to lose some during boil, and I boiled at a much lower temp...to the point that I was worried that it wasn't really boiling..just simmering. Still, ended up with even less than the first time. I added some water to get it up to the gal. mark but that should be a back up, not plan A. What am I doing wrong?

How much water do you have before the boil?

If you're doing all grain, mini-mashing, or steeping grains, you need to account for water loss due to grain absorption. Then of course you'll lose water due to the boil.

If you're doing the Brooklyn Brew Shop kits, as your sig indicates, depending on your stove/pot you should start out with around 5 qts of water preboil. If you are doing something other than stovetop boiling in a 8+ qt pot, your boiloff rate might be different. I did 4-5 of those sized recipes and didn't have a significant problem. I would maybe be a pint short, but that's no big deal to top off.

If you don't have a way to measure volumes, get one. That will help immensely. Start with 5 qts (make sure it's the volume before you boil. You will lose some water to grain absorption) and see where that gets you.

Also sounds like you are doing really small batches. What size kettle are you using for this?

I only had an issue twice with brooklyn brew kits (did a ton). They give you a really thick mash (something like 2.5lb of grain to 3 quarts if I remember correctly) and then batch with 4 quarts.

Couple of suggestions...use a pot with less surface area at the top. I found I could turn down the heat once I got to full boil to make it less vigourous (even to the point of 90 minute boils and still getting over the 1 gallon mark.)

Simpliest solution is to mash with a gallon and sparge with a gallon to a gallon and a half...you can let that baby rip and you'll get 1 gallon.

Final tip, I use a thermometer (still doing 1 gallon) and write down what temp marking is what amount in my boil...very useful for determining volume.

Back