Over pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For one reason or another, i have found myself with a 5 gallon extract batch that i would like to scale down to 3 gallons because i dont have the equipment to do a full boil. My concern is with the yeast. I have liquid yeast and will do a starter. Should i only pitch 60% of the starter? Or just all of it. Thanks

Saving the remainder for another starter seems like a good deal to me.

Just curious - are you adverse to topping up to 5gal in the fermentation vessel, or that your vessel will only hold 3gal?

I am switching to all grain, and have been having issues with extract "twang". I don't have a larger brew lettle yet and was gifted an extract kit. The extract is already old, so i was just wanting to experiment with a full boil with the kit, just to see if it made a differnce

I am switching to all grain, and have been having issues with extract "twang". I don't have a larger brew lettle yet and was gifted an extract kit. The extract is already old, so i was just wanting to experiment with a full boil with the kit, just to see if it made a differnce

The 'twang' that you are tasting usually isn't related to amount of boil volume. Most of the time I find this is from uncontrolled fermentation and/or incorrect pitching volume. Yeast health may also contribute to this, but I've not used old yeast without creating a starter.

Latest posts

Back