Over pitching possible from washed Veront strain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gifty74

Reaction score
I brewed a DIPA with gigayeast's Vermont strain (starter with their double pitch yeast packet) and then washed and collected what I could from that batch. I also have Imperial Organic Barbarian liquid yeast and was wondering if I should just add this to the washed Vermont I have from the DIPA. Will this be too much yeast? They both say they are good for citrus/fruity IPAs, so was thinking they might mix well. Just seems like a lot of cells if I would put that all into a 2L starter and pitch. Looking for opinions.

Depends on the OG of your next brew.

But if you're doing another DIPA and you collected a lot of yeast from the previous batch, that will be more than enough for a reasonable-high gravity beer. I might just throw it in a starter to get it vitalized before pitching.

You may consider growing the Barbarian culture up to do a side by side with the Gigayeast... see if there's a difference for the sake of the HBT community [emoji3]

That's what I was thinking. What I have collected, done with a 1.75L starter, should be plenty for another 1.075 beer. Just thinking I'm probably not going to brew another beer for a little while and should just throw in the Bavarian. Would be nice to do a side by side, but not until I figure out this style and this acidic finish I'm experiencing. Don't want 10gal of this last one I brewed...

Back