Over pitching caused beer loss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David_Trucks

Reaction score
I made a 5 gallon wheat beer a few weeks back, with an OG of 1.050. In an effort to not under pitch, which I have a habit of doing, I used 2 packs of US-05. The FG was 1.013, which I feel is great. (And it tastes great so far- I added raspberries to secondary). But I was left with only just over 4 gallons of beer. So did my yeast "eat" some of the beer? I haven't had this happen before, other than from dry hopping.

Yeast don't magically "eat" beer. You can have losses from dry hopping as you mentioned, and from trub loss when transferring, and perhaps the raspberries soaked up some. How mych was left in the fermentor after racking to your bottling bucket or keg?

Yeast don't magically "eat" beer. You can have losses from dry hopping as you mentioned, and from trub loss when transferring, and perhaps the raspberries soaked up some. How mych was left in the fermentor after racking to your bottling bucket or keg?

I'd say you lost volume to your raspberries.

This was the first time I did the recipe, which I created myself. I don't think I was clear - I lost nearly a gallon after fermentation, but before the raspberries were put in.

This was the first time I did the recipe, which I created myself. I don't think I was clear - I lost nearly a gallon after fermentation, but before the raspberries were put in.

Did you have a lot of blow-off? Did you use a blow-off tube?

Only thing I can think of is more trub due to pitching 2 packs of yeast... I wouldn't pitch 2 packs into a 1.050 wort, 1 pack of SA05 can handle that just fine.

I think you jsut had an inordinate amount of trub that made it into the fermentor which settled in the gunky cake at the bottom with the yeast

Did you have a lot of blow-off? Did you use a blow-off tube?

Only thing I can think of is more trub due to pitching 2 packs of yeast... I wouldn't pitch 2 packs into a 1.050 wort, 1 pack of SA05 can handle that just fine.

No blow off- used a large vessel. I did 2 packs because I was tired of underpitching. You're probably right about 1 pack.

Back