Over fermentation into airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M12345

Reaction score
New brewer here making first batch of hard cider. I have an airlock on a 1 gallon glass wine jug. Started brewing Lastnight and woke up this morning to foam in my airlock. The foam has gone down in the bottle now so there is empty space in the neck now. It's bubbling away with a bubble in the air lock every few seconds. However there is still a lot of foam in the airlock itself. Is this a problem? Did I lose a lot of yeast that was in the foam and now stuck in the airlock? What do I do to fix this, is it as simple as clean the airlock and out back on? I didn't use the whole pack of yeast, so should I add more? Thanks

Not a problem, clean and sanitize the airlock, also clean and sanitize the top to the jug. Odds are your cider was expelling so much co2 that nothing harmful got in.

Relax, it is fine.

Take the airlock out, clean it, resanitize it, replace it. You did not lose enough yeast to cause any issues. There is way more yeast in suspension than you realize (that is where their food is).

Thanks guys for helping out a newbie. I'm doing a cheap cider to learn the techniques before I move up to bigger and better things. From what i reading on this forum staying calm and having patience goes a long way in brewing.

Back