Over dry-hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPhunk

Reaction score
I brewed a 2 Hearted clone with a buddy of mine at his house quite awhile back and it called for dry-hopping. He hasn't been available to bottle ever since and I have a sneaking suspicion that he hasnt pulled the hops out yet either, so this beer has been dry hopping for about 6 weeks... what am I in store for with this batch? I am hoping that at some point the hops just lose their ability to add any more flavor? We just used the 1 oz Centennial pellets that came with the kit. I'm trying to be optimistic that it will still turn out good, but I'm also extremely frustrated because my buddy is just being lazy...

I would guess it probably will be a little grassy. 1 oz for 5g isn't a ton of hop material. RDWHHB

Grassy and vegetal will be my bet. But prolly not that noticable at 1 oz.

I've had beer that was dry hopped for three months. It was really good. You'll be fine. It might not be the exact flavor you were hoping for but it'll be good.

The first IPAs were dry hopped three months for the trip to sail to India from England. It tasted good enough that we still do it today.

I Thought the whole point in dry hopping was to enhance the nose of your beer. It shouldn't effect the flavor.

I Thought the whole point in dry hopping was to enhance the nose of your beer. It shouldn't effect the flavor.

That is the idea with dry-hopping, but some people say that leaving hops in your beer for too long can cause the beer to taste grassy or vegetal as the plant material breaks down in the beer. I've never dry hopped a beer for more than two weeks and haven't ever tasted a beer in which this is happened, so I can't say whether or not it's a big issue.

I would imagine it's more of an issue with long dry hops with LOTS of hops, and I don't think 1 oz will cause too many problems. Like I said though, it's never happened to me so I don't know.

It is/was the big hop schedule in the boil for IPA's that preserved them longer. But bare in mind that English IPA's have more bittering than hop flavor or aroma. Def a different animal. Bring an Englishman over here for the 1st time,& hand him an American IPA. You'll see him struggle to choke it down. Different schools of thought.

I would imagine it's more of an issue with long dry hops with LOTS of hops, and I don't think 1 oz will cause too many problems. Like I said though, it's never happened to me so I don't know.

It happened to me. I dry hopped an APA with 2 oz (Galaxy and Cascade) for 2.5 weeks. It got dinged in competition and missed out on a medal because of it. Only got an HM because of the grassiness/vegetalness. (IDK if those are words, but you get the idea.)

My point is that it will be faint, but it will be there.

thanks for all of the replies, I guess I'll stop worrying about it as I am sure the majority of the damage has already been done and I cant really do anything about it anyway. I am sure it will still be drinkable and maybe even somewhat enjoyable, even if it wont be what we had envisioned at the start.

Back