Over Carbonation Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bknd2urbeers

Reaction score
The past 3-4 batches of beer I have brewed all are way over carbonated once bottled. To the point where when opened the foam just keeps coming out for 5 minutes. I just started all grain brewing and have just started using a copper wort chiller, but those are the only changes I can think of since this started working. My OG's are where they should be so I don't think I'm bottling early. The beer tastes fine, so don't think it's an infection. I have heard there is some sort of reaction that happens with new copper chillers that may cause over carbonation, but not completely sure that's it either because one batch that didn't use the chiller had the same problem.

Any ideas??! Thanks.

SG for the last two I know have the issue were 1.051 and 1.075. Both finished in the 1.01x range.

I asked for your SG presuming that you didn't have a hydrometer, sorry, I couldn't resist it.
You gave the OG , and the FG at 1.01x . That could be the reason.
I said the last three SG readings for the readings subsequent readings of the same brew, on those readings I would have said a) it's still going down , b) I agree it appears to be stable, c) if it's been stable for several days bring it into the warm for a few days and hope it kicks starts itself. After that it gets difficult, where info about the recipe, mash temp, yeast , pitch rate and loads more questions.
You will need to post all this data, to draw guys in.

Back