Over carbonated or botle problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeM2012

Reaction score
Hi,

First I have to say this is a fantastic website that I have learned a lot from.

So I'm currently on my 3rd brew using an ail pail, The first two were pretty decent but this third one seems to be causing some problems. On Saturday I bottled my Belgian IPA which I got from Midwest supplies, I boiled exactly as the directions indicated and let sit in the fermenting bucket for 2 weeks and bottled after my hydrometer readings were the same for 3 days in a row.

Right before transferring to my bottling bucket I did accidentally drop the fermenting bucket, the top was still on and I let it sit for about 15 minutes before proceeding to siphon to the other bucket. I proceeded to bottle the beer but did notice that it was exceptionally cloudy. I sampled one of the bottles the next day and did notice a good carbonation and a surprisingly good taste for only one day of conditioning but there was a large amount of sediment on the bottom of the bottle.

Today (3 days after bottling) I went to sample another one to see how it was progressing, all of the sediment at the bottom of the bottle shot to the top and foam proceeded to come out of the top of the bottle. When I poured it into a glass the beer was extremely cloudy but did still have a decent taste to it.

My question is, is this beer over carbonated? Did I not wait long enough after dropping the fermenting bucket before I bottled? Did this spoil the beer? Can I fix it?

I've read enough threads to know not to dump it, but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to save it?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

You aren't giving the beer enought time for the carbonation to settle in. And you've already wasted two bottles. They aren't near carbed yet. The gushing is because the co2 hasn't yet gone into solution.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Watch the video...you beer is behaving like a lot of new brewer's bottles do when they open them too soon.

Give it the full three weeks and then chill and it should be nicely balanced out.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the great advice and link, If there is one thing I'm not it's patient but I won't mess with the bottles again for the full 3 weeks.

Also checkyour temps. Use beersmith to get the right amount of priming sugar for your temps.

Latest posts

Back